We did a fossil lab this week and it was a lot of fun. There were a number of samples to look at and using a chart we had to label which fossils were which.
I particularly enjoyed this lab because I like puzzles and to me this was one giant puzzle.
Each fossil that we had was usually from a different period but there was just a handful that repeated. Some of the fossils were very easy to identify because their characteristics were like none of the others that we had on our chart. However, the bivalves and clams were the most difficult. There were minute variations of the same species that it took quiet a bit of time to determine which one was which.
Each group of fossils belonged to a "time core" and we had to go down the line in each group and log which time period they were from. This is were it got tricky. I wish that I had filled out the questions and time scale with the fossils. The time did not always match up in the sequence like it was suppose to. But overall i enjoyed it.
No comments:
Post a Comment